Tokaido Cedar Wood
This about 500 meters avenue is a part of the historical Hakone highway lined with a lot of ceder trees. In 1618 those cedar trees were planted by Matudaira-Masatuna, the lord of Kawagoe, currently in the Saitama Prefecture by the order of the Tokugawa government. Travelers going to or coming from Hakone Checkpoint were protected from strong sunshine in summer or severe cold wind in winter by the wood.
[ History Back ]